1:40am…. mmm I’m not good at this sleep thing.
Things I am procrastinating
- Eye appointment (not anymore!!) but I will close this out once I get my glasses
- Studying for GMATs- not done yet (well a little bit only)
- Signing up for GMATs- DONE today! $250- May 29 at 8AM
- Work on Bschool essays- started reading the questions (one of the Anderson ones requires a video/audio submission!)
- Get transcripts- http://regweb.unc.edu/students/transcripts.php figure out what schools will need a physical copy from Carolina
- March Madness 2010 bracket- not started
- Sports Saturday- I wanna plan sports Saturdays at the Rose Bowl with friends…need more people for softball, need more people for football.
- Oil service for car-500 miles left according to my car-
- Claybar car – not totally important but I really want it done
- Dry Clean clothes
- Sew my dress and black shirt and pink shirt…my straps are too long!
- Pay off car
- Look at homes to buy- not really conducive with my spending habits today and bschool
- Buy a book for my iphone for running
- Whiten Teeth – eh I’m doing this every now and then
- Find a different hotel for London
Will prioritize this list tomorrow.
- SORE- My calves are getting really really sore so even if I had an opportunity to run, I would not have been able to (sad face)
- WORK- I did 5 full testing scenarios with the business at BBY and all of them PASSED with no issues when they were scheduled (WHAT- no defects?) I’m hoping the rest of the next few weeks looks similar to this!
- EYE APPT = I FINALLY scheduled an eye appointment and selected GLASSES that are one- cute and stylish and two- OMG I will finally have glasses that are the right prescription.
- My official new optometrist- ROGER – is great. He did a very thorough test on my eyes and we found out that the redness around my eyes is creeping into the colored part of my eyes and that my eyes need WAY more oxygen than they are getting.
- The problem is that I wear Toric lenses which are thicker but good for astigmatism but they are not as porous
- I am relieved too that my eyes are not as worse as I thought…Plus I think with the new glasses I will be able to wear contacts a lot less. I’m thrilled to wear glasses with the right prescription for me on airplanes or while I work- they are brown and cool looking.
- Sad news though- my eyesight has gotten worse- slowly getting worse and my astigmatism is getting worse. I NEED to learn to take better care of my eyes and again I think the glasses will really help in this.
This next part is more interesting:
- ENGAGEMENTS RINGS—we chose one!!! It is so freaking gorgeous and PERFECT! I mean it’s got side stones and it looks wonderful. Nathan bought it yesterday (OMGOMGOMGOMG)- I have no idea when he is picking it up but now I’m all nervous because I know he wanted the ring to be a surprise but he also knows I am finicky about jewelry so he wanted me to like it- but I have no idea when he will ask. So now I’m on pins and needles J- but I don’t think it will be for awhile.
I chose four rings that I liked- a couple of them pre-assembled and one of them was a wedding set- but in the end I liked the one that I picked out first— it’s got a cool vintage look to it and I can see myself always wearing it.
This is a picture of the ring. We picked our own diamond for it! Diamonds are expensive! Whew! Anyhow the funny thing is- I tried it on with the matching wedding band and I think the stone we picked out might be too big…I may want something smaller to balance out the side stones (anyway our consultant said we could trade it out if we wanted).
Yesterday this all felt very real- like this was the beginning of our future together and it was a very nice feeling. After ring shopping we went to cuddle heaven. Awwww hahaha.
Today- February 24, is my mom’s birthday. I worked today and after work I did a lot of things:
- I bought 385 shares of a freight stock and moved funds to my Scottrade account.
- I paid off 80% of my remaining balance on my car
- I registered for the GMATs- May 29 8am.
This week is kind of expensive— Vegas weekend, glasses, stock buying, car paying, GMAT registering, Ma’s birthday gift, mmm .
I posted some Italy pictures on my FB too. Then we went to this fancy seafood restaurant for my mom’s birthday. It was just Dad, Ma and me. Allen and Sidney went to the Mariah Carey concert. Ma has expensive taste in food. I tried abalone for the first time—aren’t those going extinct? I don’t know. Anyhow it’s okay- like a dense scallop.
Then Barbara came over and we got to catch up for a while! I really enjoyed her visit- and I miss hanging out with her. I’m glad we are friends and that I have a sounding board in her. Plus she always has fun stories- she is going to Jamaica for a wedding tomorrow (how fun!).
Allen and I had a really nice meaningful chat about growing up and about love. We have our best chats in the middle of the night. I love my brother.
80 degrees today and beautiful. I am outside of Peets at the moment and I scoured through the Anderson website. It is so much more robust and awesome than USC’s website. I guess ranking and funds make a difference too but this is the first school’s website I researched. So far it is my top choice.
Things that stand out to me here:
1. SoCal recruiting most of the recruiting will be done for SoCal jobs– ex. it has the biggest MBA Entertainment industry recruiting
2. Club activities- so many active clubs that do more than put a blip on your resume
3. AMR- their Applied Management Research project
4. Lots of activities- it seems like students are always busy (this is the feel I got when I was a Riordan Fellow too), if there is not class, there is a club meeting or a networking event or a recruiting interview.
I like it.
The essay questions were posted as well– I don’t think I will have a big issue with it– one has a digital media requirement where we answer the question in a video or audio format (question about entrepreneurship) and one of the questions is- what is the biggest risk you have taken? Hmmm what is my biggest risk? Going to Thailand alone at 17? Venturing out to UNC on my own? Doing my highlights myself once? Buying a car without help from dad or Allen? hahaha… I have to think about this one…I could pull from my Morehead travel experiences, HIV/AIDS day camp, researching sex trafficking, trying to start a microfinance organization but what would I consider to be that big a risk? I guess I would say the 17 year old trip to Thailand that started it all…but how applicable would that be? I have not driven a car more than 112 mph, I have jumped off a bridge but that felt safe after the bungee cords held about 15 other people and their jumps.
A risk to me is jumping without knowing, no pre-calculated measures- just jumping and hoping that you will land and be okay. I’ll have to think about this one.